Riot Games reportedly delaying procedure in discrimination and harassment investigation - GamesIndustry.biz

You are not signed in.
Marie Dealessandri
Features Editor
Tuesday 17th August 2021
Share this article
Companies in this article
Riot Games
Original story: Riot Games is reportedly delaying the investigation it’s facing for gender discrimination and sexual harassment, according to the California’s Department of Fair Employment and Housing.
As reported by Kotaku, the DFEH shared a statement yesterday, saying that Riot has delayed the process for the past two months by not issuing a notice giving its employees the right to speak to government’s officials and the DFEH about the issues they have faced.
“In 2019, more than a year after the government opened a company-wide investigation of sexual harassment, sex discrimination, and sexual assault at Riot Games, the company announced it had reached secret settlement agreements with approximately 100 women who waived their claims and rights, without notice of the government’s actions,” the statement read.
“For the next 18 months, the DFEH sought the secret settlement agreements. The Court ordered Riot to produce them to the government in January 2021; however, Riot delayed production until April 2021. Alarmed by language in Riot’s settlement and separation agreements that suggested employees could not voluntarily and candidly speak with the government about sexual harassment and other violations, and obtain relief in the government’s actions, DFEH promptly moved for relief from the Court. The Court ordered Riot to issue the corrective notice; however, Riot has delayed the process for two months.”
In its statement, the DFEH called for the Los Angeles Superior Court to ask Riot to comply and produce the notice, which was initially required on June 4, 2021.
“The notice will advise workers of their right to speak freely with the government about unlawful workplace practices and participate in DFEH’s pending action, without fear of retaliation, regardless of non-disparagement and nondisclosure terms in their settlement agreements,” the DFEH added.
A class action lawsuit against Riot Games was initially filed in November 2018 following a lengthy exposé from Kotaku about Riot’s alleged toxic culture.
A preliminary settlement between the parties could have seen the former Riot employees receive $10 million. But the DFEH then said that they could actually be entitled to over $400 million.
Riot tried to move the case to private arbitration hearings back in April 2019, arguing that the women involved in the lawsuit waived their right to sue when they were hired.
Shortly after, Riot employees threatened to walk out, which led the studio to drop the mandatory arbitration.
Riot did reach a preliminary settlement agreement in August 2019, before pushing for forced arbitration once again earlier this year.
Update: Riot Games reached out to GamesIndustry.biz to clarify that the issue at hand is related to former employees, and not current staff.
“The clarification notice going out is specific to former employees who signed severance or settlement agreements,” a spokesperson said.
The company will be filing its official response through the Courts today, the spokesperson added, but did share a broader response via the following statement:
“Notices are being sent to former employees to confirm that Riot’s severance agreements have never in any way prohibited speaking to government agencies. Riot has never and will never retaliate against anyone for talking to any government agency. In fact, our standard severance agreement has included the following language for many years (predating Kotaku’s original reporting and any involvement from the DFEH):
“The court went out of its way to say sending these notices in no way indicates any judgement against Riot on the DFEH allegations, and the judge recognized that Riot has always maintained that our agreements allow people to make government complaints.”
Sign up for The Daily Update and get the best of GamesIndustry.biz in your inbox.
More stories
Valorant maker appoints former managing director of emerging markets, Alex Kraynov as new APAC managing director
By Jeffrey Rousseau
"Our number one priority is to support the players, casters, staff and fans affected by the escalating crisis in Ukraine," Riot said
By Marie Dealessandri
Related Jobs
Generalist Programmer, Fully Remote (UK Based) ?DOE
Datascope Recruitement
Cambridge
Senior UI/UX Designer – SYDNEY AUSTRALIA / REMOTE within 4hrs
Datascope Recruitement
Sydney
Senior Tech Artist – FULLY REMOTE- New IP!
Datascope Recruitement
Tulsa
Latest comments
Sign in to contribute
Need an account? Register now.
Latest articles from our team
James Batchelor
Editor-in-Chief
How the Rainbow Billy team swapped combat for conversations
Brendan Sinclair
Managing Editor
The ongoing erosion of exclusivity | This Week in Business
Rob Fahey
Contributing Editor
The costs of buggy game launches are mounting | Opinion
Christopher Dring
Head of Games B2B
Horizon: Forbidden West is the second biggest PS5 launch so far | UK Boxed Charts
Marie Dealessandri
Features Editor
Clone culture and its continuous impact on indie developers
Danielle Partis
News Editor
Elden Ring | Critical Consensus
Jeffrey Rousseau
Staff Writer
How much progress has the industry made on diversity, equity, and inclusion?
Upcoming Events
EGX London
22nd Sep 2022 – 25th Sep 2022
ExCeL, London, United Kingdom
Latest Comments
William D. Volk posted a comment in
Crowdfunding becomes the gold rush du jour | 10 Years Ago This Month
Rogier Voet posted a comment in
The UK games industry is struggling with Brexit
Ron Dippold posted a comment in
Horizon Forbidden West was delayed to avoid crunch

source

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.